It is true that as of Sept. 1, 2021, you will be able to carry a handgun in Texas without a carry permit, so many Texans often ask… “Should I still get my Texas License to Carry permit?” The short answer is “Yes”, but here is why below…
There are many circumstances where having a license to carry in Texas becomes extremely beneficial and in some situations, necessary to not break the law. Why is that?
Well Texas Law gives LTC holders more rights.
- Carry Reciprocity: Carry your gun in other states where a carry license is required.
- Firearm Purchases: No delay and no additional background check when you have an LTC and are purchasing a firearm in Texas.
- Carry your gun in more places: State law gives LTC holders the ability to carry in many places where constituional carry is not allowed. Examples: federal gun-free school zones, private property without specific signage, hospitals, nursing facilites and amusement parks, governmental meetings, bars, school district parking lots, college campuses and more.
- Invaluable Training: Knowing when you can and cannot use a gun is paramount to not getting caught up in an unforgiving legal system.
- Evidence of Training: Being able to show you took advantage of the state license and it’s required training can be a valuable tool your attorney can use in your favor.